Sunday, May 1, 2011

Penvins En Sarzeau - 1st May 2011

Penvins En Sarzeau – 1st May 2011 – 13 x 4.3km Laps
This will surprise my regular readers – a short(ish) blog!  


Photo (Left to right): Cedric Brule; Jean Bernard Leblay; Old Fart
Start:  As promised this was a fast, fairly flat, anti-clockwise seaside course (a ‘Links’ even). A sharp left-hand turn near the start was a little tricky, and caught one rider out towards the end of the race. The middle bit was straight but the surface was lumpy and another left-hander took us onto a long, smooth uphill drag. At 3 kilometres a 270˚ turn at a roundabout pointed us towards a moderate uphill climb into the finish.  Mercifully, the coastal winds were light and only a single shower dampened our spirits during the race.
A bunch of six riders managed to break away from the pack and, despite the fast start, I managed to stay attached to the main chasing group. Our club secretary and former Morbihan sprint champion, Eric Coué, was also with us.
During the race Eric attacked from time to time. His sharp sprints were punishing, but he was never quite able to jump the gap to the leaders who remained resolutely 150 meters ahead.
Accident: Round about lap nine our group suddenly sped up; someone had decided to put the hammer down in a concerted effort to catch the leaders. I dug deep, desperate to stay with the group; I wasn’t going to be dropped this close to the end.
Up front, a couple of riders must have had a ‘coming together’ because two competitors took each other down in a flurry of arms and legs and shouts of warning and pain. I saw the debris late and only just managed to avoid the carnage. I actually rode over a jettisoned water bottle which was really scary!  
Eric skilfully avoided the fallen riders and encouraged me to latch onto his wheel; this way I managed to stay with the pack.
Finish: After the spill, my group settled down a little, and I found it quite easy to stay with the bunch until the end. I even took my regular turn at the front, not wanting to be accused of having a free ride.
On the last lap I even thought about attacking, but I bottled it. I had the chance after the final roundabout but as I considered my move I was swallowed up by the group and lost my opportunity. I regret not having a go now, but there's always next time. I did howeve manage to stick with the bunch in a sprint for the line. 


Positives:  We averaged 38.8 kph (my fastest average speed ever) and I contested the bunch sprint at the end to come 13th. I cannot tell you how pleased I was with my result. 
Wrap-up: “Merci Eric for taking care of me during the accident. Your experience was very helpful.”  
Honourable mentions must go to the other two Taupont Cyclisme riders who competed in the D1/D2 class: Cederic Brule (20th) and Jean Bernard LeBlay (24th). 


Results: The D3/D4 winner finished in a time of 1:26:05, Eric Coue finished at the head of our group in 7th place in a time of 1:26:35. As I finished with the main bunch I was given the same time as Eric.  


Race Stats:
Total distance: 56 kms
Average Speed: 38.8kph (24.3mph)
Time:  01:26:35
Finishing Position:  13th (D3/D4), of 20 finishers
Next race: Lizio – 8th May

Post Script: Congratulations go to Charlie Cuswhay for another excellent podium finish today (3rd place). Max Cushway also maintained his fine form finishing 6th. Both competed in big fields and on a tough course near Pontivy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment