Monday, May 23, 2011

Taupont Pass’ Cyclisme – 22nd May 2011 – 5.1kms x 13 Laps


There was absolutely no doubt about it! The course was far too tough for me – a 5.3 kms circuit with a really stiff 1.5 kms climb into the finish.
Overview: Taupont Cyclisme hosted the race and, as always, did a wonderful organizational job on a beautiful sunny Sunday. Much credit for this must go to our excellent President Mickael Crete. It was another great achievement that matched our organisation of the Morbihan Cyclo Cross Championship. Well done Mickael and everybody else who helped!”  
The race:  Despite my pre-race preparations, I had no idea how hard the other riders would attack the hill on the first lap. They went off like startled bunny-rabbits and I had fallen back to last place before I was even half-way up that first climb.
By the time I reached the top I could just about see club-mate Yves Oger in the distance, but the other racers were already out of sight. I did eventually catch Yves and we stayed together for the next nine laps or so, trying desperately to keep our speed up. We managed to overtake a few desultory souls along the way, but there were not many of them to lift our spirits.
We were caught by the leaders on lap eight and stayed with the main bunch until the next hill. Then guess what happened? Correct - I was dropped again!
Yves managed to stay with the group until the top, but soon dropped away and I managed to haul him in again fairly quickly. We continued our sad little progress for a couple more laps until Yves decided he’d had enough and pulled out at the end of lap ten.
I continued doggedly on (I am an idiot sometimes). Anyway, it was a nice sunny day with a tailwind pushing me up the hill and I resigned myself to treat the race as hard training ride - again.
Other Club riders:
Ian Cushway – As usual, Ian finished way ahead of me, but even he struggled around the course and finished in a group at the end of lap 12.
Old Fart – I stopped at the end of lap 11 when I crossed the finish line just ahead of the leaders at the end of their final lap. I averaged around 32 kph for the 58.3 kms I did complete (not bad considering the hill).
Yves Oger: Finished at the end of lap 10.
Andy Shaw: Entered the ‘big boys’ race as a Category 3 rider. Even Andy struggled and pulled up on lap 13 (of 18). In his defence Andy is busy these days renovating his house so cannot do the training he’d like to.
My apologies to the other TC rider who entered the senior race, I did not catch your name. 


Post Script: It was good to see Loic Guimard a the end of the race - he looks to be recovering well after his spill at Lizio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment