Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Guilliers - Pass Cyclisme - 24th April 2011

Guilliers – 24th April 2011 - 17x 3.6km Laps
Due to road works in the heart of our village the route had to be changed from last year. The course still passed by my house, but this time going downhill; a distinct preference of mine. The laps are shorter too, but there are more of them of course; seventeen this year as opposed to eight last time around.
Photo (Left to Right): Old Fart; club professional, Christphe Laborie; LoÏc Guimard, club-mate and main race sponsor, Yves Oger; (photo courtesy of Eric Coue). 


Pre-race: The only other Taupont Cyclisme rider to enter the Pass Cyclisme race was my friend and occasional training partner, LoÏc Guimard. Guilliers was LoÏc’s first race of the season.
LoÏc is a much younger and stronger rider than me, but he has a young family and a real job so cannot spare as much time to train as I can. Nonetheless, as we lined up together at the start I did not expect to see him again until the end of the race.
It was sunny and warm but a stiff headwind on the uphill leg of each lap significantly reduced our average speed and made the race tougher than it could have been.
Sstart: As only nine D3 and D4 riders had pre-booked their entry, the organisers eschewed the two race format and we all set off together at 14:15 sharp; and Ye Gods, the start was fast!
The D1s and D2s went off like frightened hares and I soon found myself hurting just to stay at the tail of the group.
The first 1.5 kms took in a short flat followed by a fast downhill. We passed my house and reached  a speed of over 50 kph before turning left into a quick ‘S’ shaped chicane. Truth be told it, was quite a technical turn and a bit scary that speed when you’re in a group and you are a bit of a novice. The course continued onto the undulating fast middle section. At 2.5 kms we turned left into a stiff northerly wind and continued on uphill before turning right for the 500 meter uphill drag to the finish line. ‘Strewth, it was tough!  
The early laps: To my great surprise I managed to stay in a group of six riders for the early laps. One of the riders was LoÏc!
During the first 6 laps I had to work like stink to stay with the group, especially on the uphill drag. However, the psychological lift I gained from being able to stick with LoÏc gave me the confidence I needed to tough it out through to the end of the race.
There was one scary moment at about lap eight.
My group had been whittled down to five, and including a young woman from the Malestroit Cycling Club. We had been working as a team for the previous couple of laps; taking turns at the front, (well, more-or-less). When we arrived at the chicane, going really fast, the woman changed her line and edged me towards the verge. I had to brake sharply to avoid a spill and quickly lost contact with the back of the group. Merde - (as they say in this neck of the woods).
Normally, I’d have struggled at this point, but I was so angry that I dug deep and sprinted to catch up. I think I actually growled aloud at one stage but it did the trick! Within about 500 metres I managed to reattach to the group. It really hurt and my quads were screaming by the time I regrouped, but I was able to recover during the next climb into the finish.
Middle bit: By lap 10 we were caught by the leaders. This was where LoÏc and I separated for the first time. He managed to jump into the middle of the pack on the fast downhill stage and I though de was away. The leaders began to edge away from my group.  I dug in again and, miraculously managed to catch up; the power of the mind eh?
By the time the leaders had dropped us half a lap later, LoÏc and I were back together again. This time though there were only the two of us left in our little posse; we had dropped the others during our short stint with the ‘big boys’.
Finish: The rest of the race is pretty unremarkable really. LoÏc and I worked together, taking turns at the lead until the final section when LoÏc beat me in a desultory sprint to the line. Truth be told I didn’t have the strength to do anything more than crawl over the finish line, exhausted.
Result: Out of 51 starters, LoÏc finished 33rd overall. I was 34th and 38 completed the course.
Positives: I didn’t finish last! I managed to stay with a group; I even managed to reattach when dropped almost like a real cyclist! I call that a success (at least in my pitiful terms).
Wrap-up: All I can say is, “Merci LoÏc! Without you to hang on to I would have really struggled.”
Race Stats:
Total distance: 72 kms 
Time: 02:15 (approx.)
Average speed: 32kph (20mph)

Next race: Penvins en Sarzeau – 1st May

Post Script: A word of thanks to my good friends - the families Cushway and Shaw. They turned up after watching Charlie and Max Cushway race at St Maugan to cheer us on.
I would also like to congratulate Charlie on his 1st place and Max on his 3rd place. Both lads are excellent prospects for the future of our wonderful sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment