Monday, April 9, 2012

Winter Training – 2011/12

I know this is my first blog of the year, but I’ve been busy setting up my workshop and making furniture again. This year’s cycle blogs are likely to be few and far between. On the other hand, I’m about to set up Website dedicated to my cabinet-making activities, which will include writing project articles, so I’ll still be heavily involved in the ‘Websphere’; now, back to the cycling stuff.
Training went really well this winter. I maintained my fitness level and even added running and swimming to my training mix. I had thought about entering the odd triathlon here or there; despite that fact that I entered my last triathlon over fifteen years ago.

In the New Year, I felt so strong that I even joined the intra-club Saturday afternoon training rides. These are ad hoc affairs set up to give the Category riders some serious winter training with other high-calibre cyclists. There were riders from a couple of local clubs and we rendezvoused at 13:30hrs at various locations and joined up in Ploermel before heading out into the country to follow different routes every week. A club car from UC Josselin followed us in case of accident or breakdown, and to offer lifts to the weaker participants when they struggled to stay attached, (which, of course, included yours truly). I have to admit that the pace set by the good riders was extremely fast and I had to catch a tow or a draft from the club car on a number of occasions.

I’ll take a bit of time here to explain what ‘taking a tow from the club car’ means to those unfamiliar with the term. Basically, the car slows down a bit and pulls along side, and you grab hold of it, either a bike rack or one of the pillars when the passenger lowers his window. After you’ve nodded that you are firmly attached, the driver speeds up and pulls you back to the pack. Depending upon how far back you are when you latch on, the tow could last a kilometre or so, and the car is travelling at speed in excess of 50kph. Bear in mind that the towed cyclist is hanging on to the car with one hand, and his handlebars with the other, not the safest of positions. The first time I took a tow, I nearly came off my bike as I jostled for a better hold on my handlebars – scary.

However, as the weeks went by, I found that I had to take fewer and fewer tows as my strength improved and cycling speed increased. I was never going to challenge the Category riders, but I certainly felt that stronger in the saddle; at least until the February visit to England to meet my new granddaughter.

The UK visit lasted two weeks, (that’s two week sans velo!), and culminated in my catching the inevitable UK-visit head-cold; I think I must be allergic to England. On the other hand, we did meet little Isla Josephine (gorgeous), and renew our acquaintance with our wonderful grandsons, Lewis and Elliott – so it was worth it in the end.

On the down side, the three-week enforced break from cycling had taken its toll on my fitness. The first time back on the bike again felt like hell; so much for the long hard miles of winter training.  As a result, I have since had to seriously reconsider my 2012 racing calendar; i.e. I’m not sure when I’ll do my first PC road race, but keep reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment