Tuesday, July 12, 2011

“Maure de Bretagne (35)” – 10th July 2011 - (5.03x11) – D1/4


In case you forgot what I look like, (pic courtesy Eric Coue, Taupont Cyclisme).
Overview: I travelled to Maure de Bretagne with ‘strong-man’ Ian Cushway. The day was warm with a slight breeze that seemed to increase in velocity as the race progressed (honestly). Maure is another beautiful Brittany village – there are hundreds of them dotted around this wonderful part of France. However, after the first warm-up lap I knew the course was not for me. A 270 degree right turn immediately after the start was followed by a 1km uphill drag, then by 3kms of undulating narrow roads and a fast descent into an uphill finish.
Start: About 65 of us set off, all four groups together (D1-D4). The first lap proceeded at a fairly reasonable pace and I managed to stay bang in the middle of the group without too many problems. In fact, I stayed in contact until the middle of lap three when the main group, led by (former mate) Ian, chased off after a nine-man breakaway. They left me for dead.
I found myself wallowing all alone at the back of the race - just like old times!
I contemplated dropping out, but decided I needed the training and continued on as best I could. I tried to delay the inevitable but the race caught me up on lap 7 and swept past in no time. I didn’t have the strength to try and latch on for a tow so I let them go without so much as a whimper. The nine leaders were not too far ahead of the chase group which still included Ian. He looked to be mixing it up well with the best of them.
Company: A straggler who’d been dropped from the chasing pack caught me up soon after the peloton passed and I had some company for the remainder of the race; 3 laps to go for him, and 4 laps for me.
It’s amazing what a fillip it is to have someone to ride with after an hour and a half on your own. I managed to do my fair share at the front even though my legs were burning and I was a little light-headed. My companion stopped at the end of the race and I carried on alone to complete my final (11th) circuit; I’m nothing if not a glutton for punishment. I’ve begun calling this my ‘lap of dishonour’; it happens so bloody often. 
By the time I crossed the line for the final time the award ceremony was already taking place. I half expected, hoped, to see Ian on the podium for his share of the D3/4 spoils but no.
Puncture: I learned later that Ian had suffered a rear-wheel puncture near the finish line on lap 5 or 6 and had hot-footed it back to the car to change wheels. Luckily, I had brought a spare rear wheel for just such an emergency.
Ian was allowed to filter back into the race and attach himself to the chasing group by missing out a lap. This is perfectly acceptable and is not as advantageous as it might appear. During an enforced one-lap ‘rest break’ your legs will stiffen up and it will take some time for you to return ‘race-pace’. Ian managed this really well – I did say he was a ‘strong man’ didn’t I!
I finished last and I don't have Ian’s final position, but he must have figured quite highly in the D3/4 race. I averaged a pitiful 30.9kph (1:53:02 for 58kms), I guess Ian was nearer 36kph.
Overview: I’ve decided to put more time into hill training; I really need to strengthen my legs now that I have finally improved my stamina. I’m fed up with struggling so much on the hills.
Training drills: I have recently found an excellent website which includes training drills for keen cyclists. The Flamme Rouge site is run by my new mate Tony Williams and the link is: (http://www.flammerouge.je/content/0_home/home.htm).
I would highly recommend the site. 
Next race: Saint Armel, Friday evening (apparently its pan flat - we'll see). 

No comments:

Post a Comment